1 (edited by Justin 2012-07-17 3:04 PM)

Topic: The DATE has been set! Let's do this!

OK! I've chosen August 16th-19th based on a rigorous algorithm that I developed. So the machines are with us, dear friends.

We'll be in sunny Los Angeles!

UPDATED: July 17th
Originally we were gonna go to 6 Flags and do an in-camera-edit thing, but 6 Flags is kind of far away and also would be a total annoying shitshow on a summer weekend, so the better course of action is to do like we did in NYC - where we give people a LA/Hollywood area or landmark and a title and we make a film based around that in some way.

We were also thinking we could do some kind of re-creation from famous movies in famous locations around here, and that might be neat.

In past FFCons we'd do an "in camera edit" film, where you shoot sequentially and play it back, but it's just not the same with modern DSLR cameras -- there's no tape jitter, and silliness like that, so this year we will be allowing EDITING!

The plan is that we'll have a set deadline for the film to be rendered and ready (say, 10pm on Saturday) and if you can get back early, you have more time for editing, but if you get in late, you'll only have until 10pm to scrap together your edit. We'll order some pizza and have some drinks for those that like drinking.

Then we gather in the living room, watch 'em all and vote for a winner!

Deciding to rent a house has really brought this all together for me, and it makes

HELLO I'M NEW --- WHAT IS FFCON?

Thursday-Friday: People get in, meet each other, smile and have fun. We go out for a big dinner together and then hang out somewhere.

Saturday: We break into teams and do a Film Fight! We're looking into having each group assigned to a particular neighborhood or landmark in LA, and base the films around classic LA film titles. We'll spend the afternoon shooting, and come back to the main house, where we'll have a very short amount of time to edit. We'll order some pizza, drink some drinks, and all watch our films for the first time once they're all done, and vote on a winner.

Los Angeles 2008
New York 2007
Midwest 2006

Sunday: Breakfast, people start to head home!

SOUNDS AWESOME! HOW MUCH DOES THIS COST?? There's no fee or anything like that - people just pay their way out here, and it's a great excuse to visit somewhere new or somewhere cool and hang out. Can always come early or stay later and explore! In the end the idea is it's just cool to meet in person and make a movie together.

Some videos from FFCons in the past

https://vimeo.com/1997087
https://vimeo.com/2004239

https://vimeo.com/2006935

Re: The DATE has been set! Let's do this!

Can't wait!! If anyone's coming down from my neck of the woods, let me know and we can all head down together. Anyone else in the northwest? SO Exciting!!

RandomAxe wrote:

Can't wait!! If anyone's coming down from my neck of the woods, let me know and we can all head down together. Anyone else in the northwest? SO Exciting!!

I think Alasdair is up there somewhere ... like portland area -- we should start organizing people by area so FFers can hitch rides for road trips

RandomAxe wrote:

I am in Independence, OR - just north of you. Don't know if I will be able to make it down though.

Tickets from Amsterdam to LA are kind of expensive...  I'm afraid I won't be able to make it. As much as I would like to.

SWEEEEEEEET!! I've been waiting very patiently to hear the dates for this. So I can start planning the trip. Money is tight, however, so I might need one of those couches. To be honest though, I have no qualms about grabbing some floor either. So long as I got a pillow and blanket I'm pretty much good to go.

If I end up bringing some buddies with me I might not need it, but I will be there come hell or high water.

Just need to raise some money for this and I'm good to go.

What airline from JFK would people from Long Island take jetBlue or Virgin America? smile

PacificWaterStudios wrote:

What airline from JFK would people from Long Island take jetBlue or Virgin America? smile

I really love both those airlines, so you can't go wrong. The major difference is that Virgin has better food options, and a better entertainment system. JetBlue has a better terminal out of NYC though (their own, brand new fancy one). I flew way too much last year smile

So you guys haven't decided on where you'll be on Friday and Sunday? Or is it all going to be at Six flags?

I make cooley films and stuff. Click here to check out my cooley films:
http://www.youtube.com/user/filmyguy1

I'm afraid its looking increasingly unlikely I'll be able to come this time. Matt's already said he definitely can't make it and now it looks like neither will I. Too many other things things are happening around the time let alone the expenses. This sucks. I just really hope we have another next year. Also, isn't there a chance it could become really overcrowded if tons of Indies Machines subscribers show up?

Il be in Wales if anyone has a private jet or boat? tongue

beobug wrote:

I'd be surprised if anyone on here apart from Tomikazee knew where the hell Wales is...

Cool! That's the one weekend I'm free, so I should be there!

Filmfighter since 2003 | Watch me on YouTube | GriffinHammond.com

Two Griffin's, duking it out, a battle to the end.

There can only be onnnneeee!

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTM4MzU4MDk2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQzNzQzMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR12,0,214,317_.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SNGgL.jpg

filmyguy wrote:

So you guys haven't decided on where you'll be on Friday and Sunday? Or is it all going to be at Six flags?

Friday and Saturday will be exploring during the day, and then group dinners at night!

Six Flags + in camera edit film fight will be on Saturday!

Griffin wrote:

Cool! That's the one weekend I'm free, so I should be there!

Plan a visit to Google HQ and put it all on your gCard, baby!!!

Volatile Productions wrote:
beobug wrote:

I'd be surprised if anyone on here apart from Tomikazee knew where the hell Wales is...

Whales are underwater, duh

Justin wrote:

Whales are underwater, duh

Exactly

Yo! Just posted a banner up on the front page! Expect some more folks to stop on by. Hi folks!

Justin wrote:

Yo! Just posted a banner up on the front page! Expect some more folks to stop on by. Hi folks!

Sweet!  big_smile

"God's away on business."

I live about 45 minutes away from Six Flags... I have an annual pass too! I'll definitely be there & It's before the semester starts too so it's perfect.. lol

Kalvin Sartin

FACEBOOK EVENT
http://www.facebook.com/events/241895792596214/

Now Wales I could get to...never been before actually...well if we're throwing places out there, I'll be in Whitby from this Friday for a week, if any Yorkshire filmmakers are kicking about lol

Hey Justin i have a questions when people go to LA for Film Fights Con do they book a hotel room or they just go to your house?