Topic: File Formats

Ok, so the QT's this week were pretty horrid. I am still unsure what I want to use as the standard file format.

I am thinking ... would just straight up MPEG be a good choice? The QT is also kind of for dial up users. But, should we be pandering to them anyway? I just want the videos to be around 5-6 megs max.

So, opinions? QT? MPEG? DIVX? WMV?

Re: File Formats

Xvid with ogg sound because both are open sourced.

Kidding, but seriously xvid is  pretty good.

wmv or mpeg. everything else is balls. do not pander to anyone on 56k. that's like emails with "if you use aol and the above link doesnt work, use this one". why bother helping out the retards?

im sure if someone on 56k wants to see the videos badly enough, they'll find a friend with broadband and enjoy watching them a lot more than downloading shit quality videos that take 30mins each to download anyway.

also, try to avoid divx as it will potentially alienate the "average user" that doesn't know what divx is.

http://www.nakedcastle.com/images/sig-travis.gif

WMV 9 looks sooo good, and the filesize is great, but those damn Mac users are always going to be messing things up for us.  Heh, so I think I'll probably just do a mid-range MPEG for future weeks. DIVX and XVID are great, but not a lot of the common folk have the codecs on their computer. Mpeg seems pretty standardfare.

Justin,Nov 12 2003, 03:50 AM wrote:

WMV 9 looks sooo good, and the filesize is great, but those damn Mac users are always going to be messing things up for us.  Heh, so I think I'll probably just do a mid-range MPEG for future weeks. DIVX and XVID are great, but not a lot of the common folk have the codecs on their computer. Mpeg seems pretty standardfare.

WMP 9 is now available for OS X! Not saying you should use it.. just a heads up. I think Xvid has the best compression and quality, but as you said not many people have the codecs to view.

Does the mpeg4 in Quicktime pro look okay or as crappy as the vanilla codecs?

I like the wmv format. It's small, clean, and user friendly. Mac Users aren't real people like you and me anyway.
But seriously, most mac users I know have virtual windows or some way to watch wmv files. Mpeg1 is nice too. Why is it that Quantum Ninja's movie is in that format, by the way?

WMV all the way.  big_smile

Justin layed the smack down on my sig.

WMV for me

-Newman
  CPP, Calling our own shots
http://www.indiegogo.com/StygianWaters

I liked the way you had it set up for week 1.

XVID is awesome in terms of preserving quality and keeping the file size down. And WMV is easy for people who don't have all the latest codecs or just don't know about them.

My only qualm about WMV is they open up as text documents in mozilla firebird. But that's only for us leet peoples who don't want it up the Micro$haft. Woo! Rave against teh machine!!!1

Blobman,Nov 12 2003, 06:20 AM wrote:

Does the mpeg4 in Quicktime pro look okay or as crappy as the vanilla codecs?

I think mp4 looks pretty good. Well, reasonably good. But Xvid is still better.

VVVV xvid is just as much as available for macs as it is for windows vvv

[Bear in mind I know very little about codecs, so this could be way off; most of it is based on inferences from what I've read here.]

There are basically three audiences to worry about, Windows, Mac, and Dial-Up.  It seems like the general consensus is to ignore Dial-Up, so that leaves us with Windows and Mac users.

On the Windows side, it seems like the basic choices presented thus far are MPEG, WMV and XVID.  MPEG, as I understand it, is pretty universally playable, but doesn't offer the best compression.  WMV is a nice middle ground.  And XVID has the best compression but the least ubiquity.

In the Mac camp, we've got MPEG and Quicktime.  From what I've read here, it seems like quicktime looks like a pile of flaming ass unless you ramp up the filesize.

So it would seem that the best choice would be to offer a choice of either WMV or MPEG, with perhaps the option of a high-res XVID copy if you've got the extra space/bandwidth.

Keep in mind that the goal, in the end, should be universal playability with decent quality, rather than absolute best-quality that only some people can play.

Mov contains about a dozen codecs. So deciding on which can be tricky. Mpeg 4 in MOV is pretty nice though.

divx?