Topic: 10 short films (a plan)

Okay so I have this crazy plan that I've had in my mind for a week. I'm a young filmmaker. I've made few shortfilms (plus one "commercial"). My films are bad. Totaly bad. I can't even watch them after I made them because I'm so embarrassed  of them. But that's cool. Because of cource my films going to suck.One filmmaker called Stu Maschwitz said something like: "Your first ten films are going to suck. Make them fast and then start making good movies".

Now this is my plan. I'm going to make 10 shortfilms. No mater how long (atleast not over 15min), what genre they're or how stupid they're within 3 years (after my gymnasium ends (europian high school)). After that if I've made my 10 shorts I make another short (I could use this as a key to get in the movie business.) or make a first feature film.

If that doesn't sound hard enought but here's something else I'm going to also do. I'm going to build a small community around my films. I do this because many great movies are today made with community around films. I'm going to start it by making a facebook, twitter, youtube account and then I start a weekly blog. This way I can tell people about how our movies are doing and it might have some BTS stuff.

So in my point of wiew this sounds simple and complex at the same time. I really want to make this thing happend. But there's some risks also. What if no one of my friend don't want to make movies anymore? What if I don't get a good community around my film? Am I too young for this kind of big plan? I've tried to answer these questions myself but I don't have answer to these things.

What do you think? Should I do this thing? Should I wait few more years? Should I think about this for a while? Please comment on what do you have to say about this or have you done something like this before.

Making movies since 2007.

Re: 10 short films (a plan)

I'm not sure if I totally understand. Are you going to make ten films quickly and just roll them out? If that's the case then I think you'll be missing the point of the first ten films sucking quote. I think the meaning was that as you work on each film you learn more and more so that naturally, each film improves.
If you just rattle through making ten films just to have your first 'sucky ten films' then it's not really going to work as you won't have put as much time into the process and planning of the films.
Also, the community idea is a good one, but it's also tough to get people to take notice and build a solid fanbase. I would strongly encourage you to try it, but don't expect it to suddenly have hundreds of likes and views etc overnight.
I hope this isn't too 'negative' a reply and hopefully this answers a couple of your questions.

GhastlyMrC wrote:

I'm not sure if I totally understand. Are you going to make ten films quickly and just roll them out? If that's the case then I think you'll be missing the point of the first ten films sucking quote. I think the meaning was that as you work on each film you learn more and more so that naturally, each film improves.
If you just rattle through making ten films just to have your first 'sucky ten films' then it's not really going to work as you won't have put as much time into the process and planning of the films.
Also, the community idea is a good one, but it's also tough to get people to take notice and build a solid fanbase. I would strongly encourage you to try it, but don't expect it to suddenly have hundreds of likes and views etc overnight.
I hope this isn't too 'negative' a reply and hopefully this answers a couple of your questions.

Thanks for commenting and it's good to hear critique. I will make my best to make those 10 films even if they suck but these movies I'm going to make are not the movies that I would LOVE to make.

I have this idea about Matrix-like cyberpunk themed movie in my mind. But with these skill and no money I can't do it. Sure I could make a cheap version what's in my mind but that would just make it look like shit.

So in the end I try my best on these movies and try to improve my skills so one day I can make movies that I really want to make.

There's a similar thing that photographers have been getting into recently called the "365 challenge" - where the photographer has a photoshoot everyday for a year and tracks their progress as the year goes by, its very cool. Are you planning something like that? and if you are doing something similar (which it sounds like to me) then you should set individual deadlines to help motive you, like instead  of 10 shorts in 3 years - one short every 3 months. a smaller more manageable deadline like that might help you through it.

One short in every 3 months. That would be good deadline. Thank you very much.  big_smile