Topic: Euro-Con

I see a lot of people from Europe asking for a FFCon in their area - I'm open to the idea of having a 'con out there at another time of the year, but would need SIGNIFICANT help planning it all. I don't know a good central location since there are so many freakin countries - is it all a lot of hot air from people who want it across the street from them, or are there dedicated people who would actually come out?

Would be a good excuse for me to get out there again!

Re: Euro-Con

Well I think best place for a Euro con would be England. England because everyone talks English and I know few filmfighters that live in England so they could help us out. Also I frigging love England and London. So that's why England would be the best choice.

Also Poland would be a nice place. I've been there in a city called Gdańsk (it's in the north) and I liked it. It's one of the cheapest countries in Europe (well until they change their currency into euros) so the food and hotels are cheap. I don't know that do we have any Polish filmfighters here but the problem would be that we don't have anyone who speaks Polish.

Hopefully someone else has more ideas. I would like to make this happen but I might be too young for this right now. Perhaps few years later I would come too.

Making movies since 2007.

I reckon if you're going for a British destination then you're either going to want to go for London, Glasgow or Edinburgh.
All three are massive cities with tons of culture and great places to visit/eat/party. I reckon the majority would rule London which is aye ok in my book, but I just wanted to open up a couple of Scottish options smile

GhastlyMrC wrote:

I reckon if you're going for a British destination then you're either going to want to go for London, Glasgow or Edinburgh.
All three are massive cities with tons of culture and great places to visit/eat/party. I reckon the majority would rule London which is aye ok in my book, but I just wanted to open up a couple of Scottish options smile

I've been to London a couple times - it just seems ghastly expensive. Would be fun to have it somewhere more chill. Poland sounds super interesting - I know the trains can get you most anywhere around Europe.

GhastlyMrC wrote:

Glasgow

I'ma go down to Glasgow and glass a cunt

http://i.imgur.com/SNGgL.jpg

I know how Matt (beobug) and I (Oli) always go on about having it in London - for the like the last 2 years lol. But I totally get what Justin is saying about hotel prices, any decent hotel close to the centre other than some hostel is not gonna be nice. And neither are the plane tickets for the U.S Filmfighters. So I think it would also be really cool to do it in Scotland. I've only been to Edinburgh once, never been anywhere near Glasgow. As for the continent, Interrail tickets can get us pretty much anywhere, so Poland could be an option - or Amsterdam... teehee

Volatile Productions wrote:

I know how Matt (beobug) and I (Oli) always go on about having it in London - for the like the last 2 years lol. But I totally get what Justin is saying about hotel prices, any decent hotel close to the centre other than some hostel is not gonna be nice. And neither are the plane tickets for the U.S Filmfighters. So I think it would also be really cool to do it in Scotland. I've only been to Edinburgh once, never been anywhere near Glasgow. As for the continent, Interrail tickets can get us pretty much anywhere, so Poland could be an option - or Amsterdam... teehee

I wanna go somewhere awesome and cheap. The british pound is a killer. Somewhere that's also cheap for everyone else from Europe that you can afford a train pass to pretty easily.

Justin wrote:

I wanna go somewhere awesome and cheap. The british pound is a killer. Somewhere that's also cheap for everyone else from Europe that you can afford a train pass to pretty easily.

Like Eastern Europe seems super interesting and affordable ... BUT I want somewhere all the London people can get to without too much hassle ... and we'd need a native guide / FFer in that country

How about Denmark? We have a filmfighter from there (HorribleHorror) and it's not that expencive place and it's not too far away from UK. Best time would be the spring or the autumn. What do you think?

How about Barcelona? I went there a couple of years back and it was pretty reasonable price wise and it was so freaking sunny! Stayed in a nice hotel right in the centre, just off Las Ramblas. One of my friends stays out there and she and her husband run a property company. Might be able to help find a communal house ala LA if you wanted to do that again

Amsterdam, it's really the only option.

http://mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw4311-1334909398365.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SNGgL.jpg

Amsterdam or Barcelona. But if Justin's worried about gloomy overcast weather than Amsterdam is out. Barca would be sick

Amsterdam or Barcelona. But if Justin's worried about gloomy overcast weather than Amsterdam is out. Barca would be sick

Is it pretty easy to get to Spain for you guys ?

Justin wrote:

Is it pretty easy to get to Spain for you guys ?

Yeah pretty easy, we can fly or get the train for a decent price - or drive there if we're really crazy (although I havn't even got a license yet lol)

I think Germany is the most central place in Europe, but I don't know where the most ffpeople are from, I think the UK or the Netherlands

btw please do it after 5th of June because then i'm 18 smile

I also would like to have it in Germany. (Because i live in Hamburg wink ) and it is pretty central. It's not that expensive to go there from Brittain or Spain. Netherlands is like 3-4 hours away from here (by car). I think that Hamburg is the most beautiful town in germany. berlin is also nice. And forget about Bratwurst and Sauerkraut and Oktoberfest an what you Amercans think about Germany. That's just Bavaria! smile But again, it's nice that you are really planning to come to Europe! Awesome idea!!  cool

TEXO Films wrote:

I also would like to have it in Germany. (Because i live in Hamburg wink ) and it is pretty central. It's not that expensive to go there from Brittain or Spain. Netherlands is like 3-4 hours away from here (by car). I think that Hamburg is the most beautiful town in germany. berlin is also nice. And forget about Bratwurst and Sauerkraut and Oktoberfest an what you Amercans think about Germany. That's just Bavaria! smile But again, it's nice that you are really planning to come to Europe! Awesome idea!!  cool

I spent some time in Berlin and have a bunch of awesome friends in Berlin, so Germany could be a good option! Too bad the food isn't as awesome as France big_smile big_smile

I would prefer The Netherlands, thats just because it's easy for me though.

You don't have to do it in Amsterdam, Amsterdam is expensive. You could also do it in another big city, that is not world famous like Arnhem, Nijmegen or Utrecht.

The same goes for any other country, you're not restricted to the biggest cities. If you go for a 'semi-big' city, i'm sure it will reduce costs!

20 (edited by niels241 2012-09-13 11:02 AM)

I think Amsterdam would be best, it's central in Europe just like Germany but (well at least as far as I know) Amsterdam is more English-friendly. In the Netherlands more people speak English, we're even sorta 'famous' for it smile Also, the Netherlands is better reachable for people from other countries because it's not an island like the UK (sorry). Also we have euro which most Europeans have smile

niels241 wrote:

I think Amsterdam would be best, it's central in Europe just like Germany but (well at least as far as I know) Amsterdam is more English-friendly. In the Netherlands more people speak English, we're even sorta 'famous' for it smile Also, the Netherlands is better reachable for people from other countries because it's not an island like the UK (sorry). Also we have euro which most Europeans have smile

That's the biggest thing for me -- it should be central and easy to access for all the other Europeans! I know it'll be expensive for ME to get anywhere, but where can we pick that will attract the most FFers from around Europe. I know at least one filmmaker in the netherlands as well I could get in touch with.

Justin wrote:

That's the biggest thing for me -- it should be central and easy to access for all the other Europeans! I know it'll be expensive for ME to get anywhere, but where can we pick that will attract the most FFers from around Europe. I know at least one filmmaker in the netherlands as well I could get in touch with.

Maybe you can make a poll on the website in which (active) FFers can show in which country they live tongue

Don't trust them Justin! Whenever I've been to Germany it's been overcast and gloomy!!!

jk, even though I'd personally love to do Barcelona, Germany or the Netherlands would be fine

24 (edited by JoelT 2012-09-16 8:16 AM)

I think Denmark or Germany would be great!  big_smile
I would love to go but I'm from Sweden and I don't think I can afford to go further than Germany.

Also, would anybody of the more famous guys like Erik, Griffin etc. be there or would it just be Justin and a bunch of Europeans?  smile

A part of Smack District, a network for serious and talented interntetbased content creators,
founded in 2013 by YouTube duo Joel Thorsson & Love Sigurd
www.smackdistrict.com | www.facebook.com/smackdistrict

Looks like Germany and Barcelona have tough competition. I prefer Germany because it's closer.
Btw, this namesake guy just gave me an idea that we could maybe have our con in Sweden. i don't know for you all but it's cheaper there than here and it wouldn't be far away (atleast to me).   big_smile