Topic: The Cutting Room

Hey Film Fighters.

I dig the concept of this site (being a long time Songfighter, it obviously appeals to me).   I really hope to participate soon, but my current production schedule makes it tough to dedicate a ton of time right now. I wanted to get involved somehow, however.

I am a working editor/assistant editor out in L.A. I am very knowledgable as far as Avid, Final Cut Pro, and Casablanca systems are concerned. I have some Media 100 experience and I won't touch Premiere with a 10 foot pole. I also have a solid background in After Effects, Photoshop and Cool Edit Pro, and some basic Pro Tools knowledge, as well as extensive experience in the art, asthetics and theory of editing. I'm totally down to answer any questions you guys might have about the post production side of things. I figure the forum is the best place to do it (since we would all benifit from the questions), but you can also feel free to e-mail me at pfm@pfmmusic.com.

Word.

-Chris
prayformojo

Ladies, form a line to my left for makeouts. Dudes, form a line to my right for high fives.

Re: The Cutting Room

prayformojo,Nov 9 2003, 06:22 PM wrote:

"I won't touch Premiere with a 10 foot pole."

"I also have a solid background in After Effects, Photoshop and Cool Edit Pro..."

You use AFX, Photoshop, and Cool Edit Pro (now owned by Adobe and called Audition), yet you won't touch Premiere? Why is that?

I know most people claim Avid and Final Cut Pro make Premiere toss their respective salads, but a lot of people still use it regardless. Also, Premiere Pro is pretty hottt if you haven't tried it yet.

---
NOTE: I may be biased as they send me their software for free. $BLING$

I don't know what everyone has against Premiere. I just use it for simple cutting, and it doesn't seem like an avid could make simple cutting that much of a revolutionary leap forward. What really takes skill is post-stuff like After FX, where the program actually matters. Doing SFX on premiere is embarassing and wrong.

Does Avid have a version of AFX? Or something like that? And how would it be so much better? Just lots of keyboard shortcuts?

Does anyone use Vegas Video?

I told everyone you used to use Vegas until you got fired

-Newman
  CPP, Calling our own shots
http://www.indiegogo.com/StygianWaters

Justin,Nov 10 2003, 01:24 AM wrote:

What really takes skill is post-stuff like After FX, where the program actually matters. Doing SFX on premiere is embarassing and wrong.

Hahaha...dude, you're making me cry because that's all I can do. I literally haven't touched AFX since that time we talked about it on the phone.

I'm a slacker. I deserve scorn.

rickrock,Nov 9 2003, 04:47 PM wrote:

prayformojo,Nov 9 2003, 06:22 PM wrote:

"I won't touch Premiere with a 10 foot pole."

"I also have a solid background in After Effects, Photoshop and Cool Edit Pro..."

You use AFX, Photoshop, and Cool Edit Pro (now owned by Adobe and called Audition), yet you won't touch Premiere? Why is that?

Liking After Effects and Photoshop does not automatically mean I have to like Premiere. I'm a huge fan of most Adobe products, but I got burned bad on Premiere 4.0, and have had a hard time going back. I've done some cutting Pro, and it's a decent package, but I'm twice as fast on Avid and FCP, so why change. I'm not anti-Premiere, but you can only piss in my cereal so many times before I stop inviting you to breakfast.

Avid is a deeper program, especially when it comes to media management, etc. It was designed for speed and accuracy, two things that I have had issues with in both FCP and Premiere. Both have gotten way better, and I'm currently cuttign some projects on FCP 4 with great success, but for my money I'll take the Avid's interface and toolsets any day. The keyboard shortcuts may seem like a trivial thing, but they can seriously shave hours off of an edit session.

I look at editing software as different flavors of ice cream, you gotta stick with the one that you dig the most. The final product will look pretty damn similar no matter which package you choose to cut on, so the software you choose should be the one you feel most comfortable using.

Ladies, form a line to my left for makeouts. Dudes, form a line to my right for high fives.

millertime83,Nov 10 2003, 03:06 AM wrote:

Does anyone use Vegas Video?

Yeah I do. It's the best.  big_smile

Justin layed the smack down on my sig.

Does anyone edit on a Mac

-Newman
  CPP, Calling our own shots
http://www.indiegogo.com/StygianWaters

Newman,Nov 11 2003, 05:05 PM wrote:

Amir does. I've always found Mac's to be a little cumbersome and confusing. Like when I try to use AFX at his house, I just feel retarded. It's sad. I am sure it's just a matter of getting used to it ... but I guess I use the same reasoning ... why get used to a Mac when I am so used to a PC?

And I do know I need to learn Avid eventually, and I am sure it'll be one of those things where I think "why the hell didn't I do this years ago ..." but I'm a stubborn mule.

I had the experience that Avid is highly technical, but confusing as a fish wearing a pinstripe suit. Avid Express also only supports dv and mov files from what I saw.

prayformojo,Nov 11 2003, 11:48 AM wrote:

I'm not anti-Premiere, but you can only piss in my cereal so many times before I stop inviting you to breakfast.

Hah...good enough, man.

**LOOKS AROUND**

What's Avid like and how does it differ from all the rest of the jazz? Or perhaps what makes it that much more expensive (and better) than Premiere?

Justin,Nov 11 2003, 05:47 PM wrote:

Newman,Nov 11 2003, 05:05 PM wrote:

And I do know I need to learn Avid eventually, and I am sure it'll be one of those things where I think "why the hell didn't I do this years ago ..." but I'm a stubborn mule.

If you want to work as an editor you need to know Avid. Knowing Final Cut Pro helps a lot too since it is gaining a lot of popularity, especially with smaller productions. Right now Avid has 75 - 80 percent of the market in post production. I don't think you'll find Premiere on any, with the exception of doing animatics. Again, I'm not slagging on Premiere, it just has a harder time handeling a heavy work load.

There is kind of a rule of thumb when it comes to editing software and setups. The easier it is to learn, the less it is capable of in the long run. Ease of use has an expense, and that expense is typically the depth of the program, usually in the media managment side of things. Most of you are probably not doing any projects with hours and hours of footage, so Premiere works out just fine. the show I'm working on right now has WELL over 1000 hours of footage, and there is no way in hell I would put that into a Premiere system.

Another consideration is how are you inputting/outputting. Avid is by far the most versitile for diferent formats. Everything from VHS to DV to BETACAM. Granted, all of this requires hardware, but the systems were designed to work with all formats, not just DV like Premiere and FCP. I know that you can input and output different formats with the proper hardware, but those systems are optimized for DV.

Like I said before, there is no wrong choice for the software you choose to edit on. As you move your way up the ladder (so to speak), the software tends to get more expensive and more complicated, but also much more versitile and effective. I have found that once I learned the Avid I could do much more much faster than with any of tee other packages I have used, but it took me quite a while to reach that level of proficency.

Blobman,Nov 11 2003, 07:12 PM wrote:

I had the experience that Avid is highly technical, but confusing as a fish wearing a pinstripe suit. Avid Express also only supports dv and mov files from what I saw.

Express DV's primary input in DV. Express Pro supports all formats without a problem.

I use premier and don't ahve a problem with it for simple cutting and compiling footage.