1 (edited by Justin 2012-03-31 3:45 PM)

Topic: FFCon 2K12 ... the thinking begins

Hey guys! Wanted to start the conversation on this. Thinking that July or August would be a good time for this - thinking somewhere within 90 miles of Chicago O'Hare since it's a major airport most people can cheaply fly to, and there will be lots of inexpensive lodging and stuff like that.

We could also do LA, if people were more into that, but presents some additional costs and logistical challenges.

But yeah, conversation started! Where you want this thing?

EDIT -- UPDATED WITH MORE INFO ON WHAT FFCON IS

BASICALLY ... here's how FFCon works ...

Thursday-Friday: People get in, meet each other, smile and have fun. We go out for a big dinner together and then hit up a bar or party somewhere.

Saturday: We do an "in-camera edit" film - basically a sequentially shot film, like the movies we made before we knew how to edit. We all watch our films for the first time once they're all done, and we vote on a winner. We also put 'em up on FF proper. Then we eat and hang out again!

Los Angeles 2008
New York 2007
Midwest 2006

Sunday: Breakfast, people start to head home!

There's no fee or anything like that - people just pay their way out here, and it's a great excuse to visit somewhere new or somewhere cool and hang out. Can always come early or stay later and explore! In the end the idea is it's just cool to meet in person and make a movie together.

Some vidblogs from FFCons in the past

https://vimeo.com/1997087
https://vimeo.com/2004239

https://vimeo.com/2006935

Re: FFCon 2K12 ... the thinking begins

Well, I'd prefer LA to be honest, I have a homie I can crash with for a while, and I want to get out to California! I haven't been since I was 5...

But that's just me! If it's in Chicago I won't be able to attend, but if everyone else wants it there, I support it! big_smile

http://i.imgur.com/SNGgL.jpg

I agree with griff about LA being better. I can't afford to fly, but LA is a few hour road trip away for me and I would love to meet other film fighters. Especially because I don't know any other film makers in real life.

LA would be great for me. I have some contacts in the area I could stay with and if I can't get a good flight I can drive down from Oregon. Though, just to let people know if you purchase airline tickets way in advance and especially if you can use someone like Allegiant Air, you can get some super cheap tickets.

Honestly, I'm cool with either Chicago or LA. It would be great to go out to LA. After all, it is the film hub of the world. However, as far as I know Allegiant Air doesn't offer any direct flights to Cali from South Dakota. On the other hand, if a certain filmmaker *hack* *cough* Alex Williams *hack* *cough* were willing to meet up in Oregon I might consider driving down to LA with him. Just a thought.... And a hint.... And perhaps an outright cry for assistance. If it were Chicago I could easily get a flight out there and I think my wife has been talking about visiting Chicago in the near future anyway. I submit, however, that most will probably vote for LA which, again, is cool with me.

Now comes the part where I sound like a newby a-hole: What exactly is FFCon2K12? I'm assuming that this has been done before but being as I'm still rather new to the community I'm not sure what it is or what to expect. Are there fees (aside from travel and lodging)? Are we going to show off our films? Do have to wear pants? More importantly, can I get I totally bombed on one night and choose not to wear pants?....... I just want to be prepared. wink

rnbrewer wrote:

Honestly, I'm cool with either Chicago or LA. It would be great to go out to LA. After all, it is the film hub of the world. However, as far as I know Allegiant Air doesn't offer any direct flights to Cali from South Dakota. On the other hand, if a certain filmmaker *hack* *cough* Alex Williams *hack* *cough* were willing to meet up in Oregon I might consider driving down to LA with him. Just a thought.... And a hint.... And perhaps an outright cry for assistance. If it were Chicago I could easily get a flight out there and I think my wife has been talking about visiting Chicago in the near future anyway. I submit, however, that most will probably vote for LA which, again, is cool with me.

Now comes the part where I sound like a newby a-hole: What exactly is FFCon2K12? I'm assuming that this has been done before but being as I'm still rather new to the community I'm not sure what it is or what to expect. Are there fees (aside from travel and lodging)? Are we going to show off our films? Do have to wear pants? More importantly, can I get I totally bombed on one night and choose not to wear pants?....... I just want to be prepared. wink

Here are some clips from legendary Ed Flinch ...

https://vimeo.com/1997087
https://vimeo.com/2004239

https://vimeo.com/2006935

BASICALLY ... here's how FFCon works ...

Thursday-Friday: People get in, meet each other, smile and have fun. We go out for a big dinner together and then hit up a bar or party somewhere.

Saturday: We do an "in-camera edit" film - basically a sequentially shot film, like the movies we made before we knew how to edit. We all watch our films for the first time once they're all done, and we vote on a winner. We also put 'em up on FF proper. Then we eat and hang out again!

Los Angeles 2008
New York 2007
Midwest 2006

Sunday: Breakfast, people start to head home!

There's no fee or anything like that - people just pay their way out here, and it's a great excuse to visit somewhere new or somewhere cool and hang out. Can always come early too or stay later and explore! In the end the idea is it's just cool to meet in person and make a movie together.

7 (edited by millertime83 2012-03-31 3:28 PM)

Caroline and I are going on a cruise for our one year anniversary, so please don't schedule it for the first week of July!

I like the Chicago idea.

I voted for NYC, but I think Chicago actually makes more sense because it's centralized.

I'd love to see it somewhere centralized like Chicago...as much as I'd love to go to LA, I know that wouldn't be able to happen...

"God's away on business."

Here's what I have to say,
I'd love to attend, but sadly it's impossible for me to do that right now, mostly because I'm in another country.

So, for anyone with a situation just like mine, why don't we arrange an International FilmFights Day.
On given day, everyone attending will meet at a park or somewhere just like that, they'll hang out, and then they'll make a film.
I think this can be interesting to every single filmmaker because of a Special FF Day Rule:
"Anyone attending the event will get to make a film, in which al the other FilmFighters will be directed by him/her. Afterwards, someone else will take the role of being a director and'll have his/her chance to make a short film."
So basically, everyone helps everyone.

I think this can be fun. Of course, that rule is just something I came up with. It can be changed or forgotten entirely.

Cheers from Mexico

jckobeh wrote:

Here's what I have to say,
I'd love to attend, but sadly it's impossible for me to do that right now, mostly because I'm in another country.

So, for anyone with a situation just like mine, why don't we arrange an International FilmFights Day.
On given day, everyone attending will meet at a park or somewhere just like that, they'll hang out, and then they'll make a film.
I think this can be interesting to every single filmmaker because of a Special FF Day Rule:
"Anyone attending the event will get to make a film, in which al the other FilmFighters will be directed by him/her. Afterwards, someone else will take the role of being a director and'll have his/her chance to make a short film."
So basically, everyone helps everyone.

I think this can be fun. Of course, that rule is just something I came up with. It can be changed or forgotten entirely.

Cheers from Mexico

Love the idea of an International Film Fights Meetup ... I wonder where there's a decently high concentration of people? Maybe London area?

Of course, I live in Pennsylvania. sad I can't come to either one, but then again, I don't have a ride anyway, so it dosnt matter. I just probably wasted thirty seconds of your life.
If I could go, I'd choose CO just cuz it's probably cheaper and such.

Uh huh...yeah...sure.

Well, I'll be honest. If we're going for ease of access, Chicago would actually be the best for me because I live in South Dakota and I could probably just pack up and drive. However, there's something truly appealing about doing it in LA. You never know who you might meet while down there as a filmmaker who has never been to LA it would be great if I could plan an extra day just to hit up the scene and see what all the fuzz is about. The only downside to any of this is that Chicago is the only place on the list that I can get a direct flight for. We don't have much for an airport in the Black Hills and the only direct flights Allegiant is offering are to Phoenix, Las Vegas, Dallas Texas and I think Denver and Minneapolis.

However, to be honest I would spring for either one of these destinations. I'm not actually too excited about New York, but I might change my mind once I get there. I just want to get together with everyone and meet like-minded individuals.

That, and no one has said anything yet about me not having to wear pants so I'm officially operating under the assumption that as soon as the booze starts flowing, these pants are coming off. wink

I would also like to mention that I'm hoping for a late August/early September date. I work in the customer service industry and the place I work has black out dates for when I can take time off. Unfortunately, July and August are both big deals around South Dakota. There's 4th of July weekend and then my first born son's birthday in the middle of the month and then a really big rodeo event towards the end of the month. The first two weeks of August are made up of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and is literally the biggest even in the area. I think there's something else at the end of August, but I can't remember what.

Still, early September could work out in more ways than one. The travel season starts winding down, so it could mean cheaper flights for everyone and the weather should still be nice around that time. I could end of August. I'm fairly sure of that. But I would have to check. I'm hoping we will be knee deep in production on our new web series by July too, so early and mid summer will (hopefully) be busy.

Justin wrote:

I wonder where there's a decently high concentration of people? Maybe London area?

You fucking said it Justin.

Well actually to be honest it's only us and Wezi (who hasn't been on the forums in a while) but we just never shut up about it.

rnbrewer wrote:

I would also like to mention that I'm hoping for a late August/early September date. I work in the customer service industry and the place I work has black out dates for when I can take time off. Unfortunately, July and August are both big deals around South Dakota. There's 4th of July weekend and then my first born son's birthday in the middle of the month and then a really big rodeo event towards the end of the month. The first two weeks of August are made up of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and is literally the biggest even in the area. I think there's something else at the end of August, but I can't remember what.

Still, early September could work out in more ways than one. The travel season starts winding down, so it could mean cheaper flights for everyone and the weather should still be nice around that time. I could end of August. I'm fairly sure of that. But I would have to check. I'm hoping we will be knee deep in production on our new web series by July too, so early and mid summer will (hopefully) be busy.

Yeah my May and June are gonna be totally nuts so I'm thinking it'll be July/August

Oh wait crap shit fuck! The Olympics are from the 27th of July to the 12th of August. So early/mid July would be frikkin awesome! (Or late August because that helps Ryan)

Volatile Productions wrote:

Oh wait crap shit fuck! The Olympics are from the 27th of July to the 12th of August. So early/mid July would be frikkin awesome! (Or late August because that helps Ryan)

Why would during the olympics be better? Oooh, you mean to do a London thing -- I imagine all the hotels are PACKED already!

London would be cool. Always wanted to go there. Don't have my passport yet though. lol! I'm just ready hear a time and a place. Reeeeeeaaaallly want to go to this. I think my wife already gave me preemptive permission to go too. No backing out now!! wink

20 (edited by Volatile Productions 2012-04-16 3:38 AM)

Justin wrote:

Why would during the olympics be better? Oooh, you mean to do a London thing -- I imagine all the hotels are PACKED already!

Sorry I didn't make that clear. I meant I'd prefer not to have the L.A FFCon during the Olympics, and have it at a time before or after they take place instead. We'll be busy with everything that's happening in London and I wouldn't want to miss that, but obviously we don't want to miss FFCon either.

Volatile Productions wrote:
Justin wrote:

Sorry I didn't make that clear. I meant I'd prefer not to have the L.A FFCon during the Olympics, and have it at a time before or after they take place instead. We'll be busy with everything that's happening in London and I wouldn't want to miss that, but obviously we don't want to miss FFCon either.

It will also be an absolute nightmare flying in or out!

If it's in the Midwest, count me in for %100. I wouldn't be able to make NY or LA...or anywhere else I'd have to fly.

I realize my vote doesn't count for much, since I don't contribute, anymore, but it would be nice to attend another FFcon.

Jeremy wrote:

If it's in the Midwest, count me in for %100. I wouldn't be able to make NY or LA...or anywhere else I'd have to fly.

I realize my vote doesn't count for much, since I don't contribute, anymore, but it would be nice to attend another FFcon.

Obviously it matters a lot to ME!