1 (edited by Thomas 2012-04-11 3:20 PM)

Topic: Griffin's DIY video light

I'm going to make the DIY video light that Griffin recently made and featured in his most recent FF film (regret). I'm going totally by the tutorial he made and I'll be putting up some pics/video here to show it off. Wish me luck!

If you haven't seen Griffin's DIY video light tutorial check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFzIP_TN75A

Re: Griffin's DIY video light

Sweet! Let me know if you have any questions. Most of those parts are from Home Depot, by the way, except for the dish pan (Walmart) and the cake pan (Dollar General).

Filmfighter since 2003 | Watch me on YouTube | GriffinHammond.com

Also, the barndoors are kinda sucky, and maybe not entirely worthwhile since the light is so soft, making barndoors less effective anyway.

Hey, could you post your diagram of the electric work? Something that'd help us figure what wire & where. Thanks!

Matthew Pederson wrote:

Hey, could you post your diagram of the electric work? Something that'd help us figure what wire & where. Thanks!

I second this motion ^ I'm going out to buy the all supplies and stuff tonight. busy week

Actually Griffin I do have a question for you, but it's related to your gh2, not the light. I've been doing a lot of comparison shopping for the past month, visited some stores and tried cameras out in person and whatnot- and I'm fairly sure I'm goin with the gh2. My question for you is have you ever run into any overheating problems with it? Supposedly it doesn't encounter these issues like a lot of other dslrs, but I wanted to get a first-hand answer.

Thomas wrote:

My question for you is have you ever run into any overheating problems with it?

Never. And I've done lots of long shoots at events like weddings.

Matthew Pederson wrote:

Sure thing!

Below are a photo and a diagram that should better clarify how I wired it up. Let me preface this by saying I've done my research, but I'm not an electrician, and you shouldn't attempt anything like this unless you understand electrical wiring, the hazards, and safety precautions. And of course, you're doing all this wiring with it unplugged from power.

All the parts I bought - the switch, sockets, and AC cable - were pre-wired/stripped, which makes less room for error. The sockets are polarized, meaning they have a "hot" (black) and "neutral" (white) wire, that need to be connected in the correct direction, whereas I color-coded the switch wires the same (pink), because it doesn't matter which direction the switch is wired up.

The green "ground" wire can be attached to the metal pan. (If something ever broke, shorted out, and electrified the pan, the ground wire helps send the electrical current back through the AC cable to minimize electrocution potential.) The "hot" (black) wire from the AC cable is what should be connected to the switch.

I used 4 additional short wires, which are hard to see in the photo, because they're also black. They're color-coded in the diagram as orange, because some of them are on the "hot" side, and some on the "neutral" side. Instead of trying to cram four "hot" socket wires and one wire from the switch into a single wire guard, I used these extra wires to keep a maximum of three wires in each wire guard. (These four wires were the only ones I had to cut and strip.)

Here's the best way to use these wire guards: Take the stripped metal leads from each of the two or three wires, and hold them together by wrapping a piece of electrical tape around their insulation. Then, with your fingers, twist the metal leads together clockwise. Then, twist the wire guard on top, also clockwise, until it's tight. Finally, I wrap a piece of electrical tape around the wire guard just in case. (Don't buy the tiny wire guards; they need lots of space for the three fat wires. I believe this size are usually red.)

This method of wiring is a parallel circuit (versus a serial circuit), meaning even if you take out lights, the other ones will still work. What this means, though, is that the sockets are still electrified without a bulb (when it's plugged in with the switch on), so don't stick your fingers in one of the bulb sockets.

http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/F1L/TFN3/H0OJ39XS/F1LTFN3H0OJ39XS.LARGE.gifhttp://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FYM/M3QO/H0OIV3SF/FYMM3QOH0OIV3SF.LARGE.jpg

So I realize it's been 2 weeks since I built the light. I'll put up some pictures soon.

Yeah I was wondering about the umbrella if you drilled the hole all the way through to the clear plastic lid. Right now having trouble finding the socket splitters Home depot and Walmart were epic fails.
THANKS for the diagram

radarflicks wrote:

Yeah I was wondering about the umbrella if you drilled the hole all the way through to the clear plastic lid. Right now having trouble finding the socket splitters Home depot and Walmart were epic fails.
THANKS for the diagram

You do drill the hole all the way through the plastic lid. And I found the socket splitters at Home depot, so I would recommend any other nearby hardware stores you may have- ACE, Truevalue, Lowes, etc. You might need to call HD and get on their asses about it- i know its something they should have in stock.

Yeah I was able to find the splitters at ACE but Im gonna have to got to all the ones in my area since they tend to have only 1 or 2 in each store. But hey that what Indie's about right  cool

One thing I did notice that is a little cheaper and makes it a little more custom is the AC bare wire. At my Homeless Depot they have "left overs" of wire. Also , ya can cut your own. Then get a plug at the other end(Just as easy to mount as the light sockets themselves. I was able to find a pre-cut wire for $0.97 and then put a 3 prong plug ($2.00). It was cheaper than getting the pre made made stuff ($9.00) and I can make it as long or short as I want. I hope to have it done by this weekend  roll

radarflicks wrote:

I hope to have it done by this weekend  roll

Sweet! I've been impressed with how many people have built this light!

Griffin wrote:
radarflicks wrote:

I hope to have it done by this weekend  roll

Sweet! I've been impressed with how many people have built this light!

CHANGIN LIVES

16 (edited by Cinema300k 2012-05-10 10:08 PM)

These are great lights! I have actually built 3 of them myself, the first one was pretty much an exact copy of Griffin's light. The second two included some "improvements" based on my wants/needs and experience with using the original design.

Light V2 - Light Output 200-600 watt equivilent. This is pretty much a replica of the original design, except I built it with 3 banks of two lights each. Each bank has its own switch, meaning I can control the light output from 200watts all the way up to full power at 600 watts.

Light V3 - Light Output 400 or 800 watt equivilent. Again, pretty much the same, except I used two banks of lights, each with its own switch, and using 4 200 watt equivilant CFL bulbs.

I love these lights and actually have plans to build atleast one more with a few more design changes to fit my needs. Griffin really did hit the nail on the head here and came up with a great concept that is ver easily adaptable for your needs.

17 (edited by Alaska 2016-06-10 1:24 PM)

radarflidcks wrote:

One thing I did notice that is a little cheaper and makes it a little more custom is the AC bare wire. At my Homeless Depot they have "left overs" of wire. Also , ya can cut your own. Then get https://skinnyexpress.com/phen375-review a plug of phen375 at the other end(Just as easy to mount as the light sockets themselves. I was able to find a pre-cut wire for $0.97 and then put a 3 prong plug ($2.00). It was cheaper than getting the pre made made stuff ($9.00) and I can make it as long or short as I want. I hope to have it done by this weekend  roll

What are the total costs to build these lights following the tutorial?

18 (edited by lucileburt 2017-09-13 3:11 PM)

Best light bulbs for DIY studio lighting?
ive seen a bunch of diy tutorials on youtube about  SizeGenetics Reviews and Results how to make your own softbox and umbrella im just wondering which bulbs should i get for diy photography lighting?