1 (edited by Thomas 2012-04-11 1:20 PM)

Topic: Griffin's DIY video light

Re: Griffin's DIY video light

Sweet! Let me know if you have any questions. Most of those parts are from Home Depot, by the way, except for the dish pan (Walmart) and the cake pan (Dollar General).

Filmfighter since 2003 | Watch me on YouTube | GriffinHammond.com

Also, the barndoors are kinda sucky, and maybe not entirely worthwhile since the light is so soft, making barndoors less effective anyway.

Hey, could you post your diagram of the electric work? Something that'd help us figure what wire & where. Thanks!

Actually Griffin I do have a question for you, but it's related to your gh2, not the light. I've been doing a lot of comparison shopping for the past month, visited some stores and tried cameras out in person and whatnot- and I'm fairly sure I'm goin with the gh2. My question for you is have you ever run into any overheating problems with it? Supposedly it doesn't encounter these issues like a lot of other dslrs, but I wanted to get a first-hand answer.

So I realize it's been 2 weeks since I built the light. I'll put up some pictures soon.

Yeah I was wondering about the umbrella if you drilled the hole all the way through to the clear plastic lid. Right now having trouble finding the socket splitters Home depot and Walmart were epic fails.
THANKS for the diagram

Yeah I was able to find the splitters at ACE but Im gonna have to got to all the ones in my area since they tend to have only 1 or 2 in each store. But hey that what Indie's about right  cool

One thing I did notice that is a little cheaper and makes it a little more custom is the AC bare wire. At my Homeless Depot they have "left overs" of wire. Also , ya can cut your own. Then get a plug at the other end(Just as easy to mount as the light sockets themselves. I was able to find a pre-cut wire for $0.97 and then put a 3 prong plug ($2.00). It was cheaper than getting the pre made made stuff ($9.00) and I can make it as long or short as I want. I hope to have it done by this weekend  roll

16 (edited by Cinema300k 2012-05-10 8:08 PM)

These are great lights! I have actually built 3 of them myself, the first one was pretty much an exact copy of Griffin's light. The second two included some "improvements" based on my wants/needs and experience with using the original design.

Light V2 - Light Output 200-600 watt equivilent. This is pretty much a replica of the original design, except I built it with 3 banks of two lights each. Each bank has its own switch, meaning I can control the light output from 200watts all the way up to full power at 600 watts.

Light V3 - Light Output 400 or 800 watt equivilent. Again, pretty much the same, except I used two banks of lights, each with its own switch, and using 4 200 watt equivilant CFL bulbs.

I love these lights and actually have plans to build atleast one more with a few more design changes to fit my needs. Griffin really did hit the nail on the head here and came up with a great concept that is ver easily adaptable for your needs.

17 (edited by Alaska 2016-06-10 11:24 AM)

18 (edited by lucileburt 2017-09-13 1:11 PM)

These are great lights!

These are good lights!

I was wondering about the umbrella if you drilled the hole all the way through to the clear plastic lid.

So I realize it's been 2 weeks since I built the light. I'll put up some pictures soon.