Topic: Lights Out

Something happens that plunges your character into complete darkness.
The bulk of your film must take place with NO VISUALS and focus mainly on SOUND.
Time: 1:30/2:00

Would give a chance to work on a great sound edit and tell a story you may lack the budget/VFX know how to tell visually

Whaddaya think?

Re: Lights Out

Thinking outside the box!!! I like it!  big_smile

"God's away on business."

Re: Lights Out

When you say no visuals do you mean... the radio? We could do the Archers, and make it TOTALLY badass!

Re: Lights Out

Haha that would be awesome. The best thing for me to compare it to would be an old Disney 'ride' they had called 'Drew Carey in Sounds Dangerous'. You had to wear headphones and he was doing a hidden camera show. The video cut out at one point and it relied completely on sound to tell the story. Might be fun

Re: Lights Out

Part of me would like at least some visuals in this (after all, these are video contests), but I like that it's different and I certainly need an excuse to practice sound editing given my lack of experience in that area!

Re: Lights Out

Yeah the description says the bulk of your film should contain no visuals, so it would also force you to think really strongly on what to show and what not to show or give you a chance to put more time into a really great shot. I think it could be a lot of fun

Re: Lights Out

I think total darkness would be more like an audio play of some kind - I sure as heck wouldn't want to watch 20 videos with no VIDEO.

If your CHARACTER is blinded by the darkness, but we could still see, that might be OK (a la silence of the lambs)

Re: Lights Out

Justin wrote:

I think total darkness would be more like an audio play of some kind - I sure as heck wouldn't want to watch 20 videos with no VIDEO.

If your CHARACTER is blinded by the darkness, but we could still see, that might be OK (a la silence of the lambs)

It would be a bit boring to watch just black for a long time. Maybe, though, it's just a short section of the film. Also, i don't have a decent mic for this, so it would sound like crap.

Uh huh...yeah...sure.

Re: Lights Out

I like the idea of the character being plunged into darkness. You could do some "POV" stuff but break away and see from the audiences pov as well.

Re: Lights Out

I watched Buried for the first time the other day. If you haven't heard of it, it's the Ryan Reynolds film about a truck driver who wakes up in a coffin. The first few minutes are in complete darkness

Re: Lights Out

Volatile Productions wrote:

I watched Buried for the first time the other day. If you haven't heard of it, it's the Ryan Reynolds film about a truck driver who wakes up in a coffin. The first few minutes are in complete darkness

Just thinking about that makes me feel claustraphobic.

Uh huh...yeah...sure.

Re: Lights Out

Volatile Productions wrote:

I watched Buried for the first time the other day. If you haven't heard of it, it's the Ryan Reynolds film about a truck driver who wakes up in a coffin. The first few minutes are in complete darkness

A terribly awesome and awesomely terrible film. Tension was unbelievable! However, there were no redeeming qualities to the film. Glad to have seen it but I will never see it again. And Ryan Reynolds is one of my faves!

Re: Lights Out

RandomAxe wrote:

A terribly awesome and awesomely terrible film. Tension was unbelievable! However, there were no redeeming qualities to the film. Glad to have seen it but I will never see it again. And Ryan Reynolds is one of my faves!

Really? I thought it was superb, what was redeeming about it for me was that it was so inventive and kept my attention the whole way through.

Re: Lights Out

Volatile Productions wrote:
RandomAxe wrote:

A terribly awesome and awesomely terrible film. Tension was unbelievable! However, there were no redeeming qualities to the film. Glad to have seen it but I will never see it again. And Ryan Reynolds is one of my faves!

Really? I thought it was superb, what was redeeming about it for me was that it was so inventive and kept my attention the whole way through.

It definitely kept my attention and it was great all the way throughout, but the story was just a 100% downer. There was no good thing that came out of the story for that character. They MAKE you care about him because of his situation and his family back home, and then

****Spoiler Alert*****

They not only fuck that character, they fuck his family over too. There is just no good feelings through that whole film. None. Lol, it was extremely well done, but in this case it was well done to a fault. Won't be watching it again. sad

Re: Lights Out

RandomAxe wrote:

They not only fuck that character, they fuck his family over too. There is just no good feelings through that whole film. None. Lol, it was extremely well done, but in this case it was well done to a fault. Won't be watching it again. sad

Yeah I know, the ending is rather depressing. But I think it's quite rare to end a film in such a bold way. Even though the emotions thrown up by the film are negative, I still commend the filmmakers for bringing those emotions up for the viewer in such a strong way. I really felt for him at the end and I thought it was a sign of skill that they made the final scene feel like such a tragedy.
I can appreciate when a film makes me feel and think for some time after it's ended instead of the kind of happy ending where I don't have to worry about it anymore after I've left the cinema