Topic: DO NOT INCLUDE COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL IN YOUR SUBMISSIONS!

http://jenden.us/storage/JD/img/putin_seriously_guys.jpg Since many of you have been doing it as of late I'm here to remind you that's a big no-no!

Although we'll generally put the film up on the site, shorts with copyrighted material will not be eligible for FilmFightsTV or be able to be put on the Youtube channel!

Since these are obviously big sources of votes, it goes without saying you won't want to blow your chances with them!
Besides that, keep up the good work! Be fun, be original, and be safe! Don't use copyrighted stuff!

http://i.imgur.com/SNGgL.jpg

Re: DO NOT INCLUDE COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL IN YOUR SUBMISSIONS!

Well, one question... With the idea of the homage fight, and being a musician by hobby, i thought of recording a cover of the song from which i will use the lyric to open the film and use it throughout the film...
Will that count as copyrighted material? There will be no vocals obviously, just the basics (base, piano, drums and maybe a bit of a sax solo)...

Ive been recording a few covers of my own with vocals and i was also wondering if i counts as copyrighted music?

I have the same question as MeX1Co

5 (edited by selfishendeavor 2010-12-03 11:48 PM)

University of Maryland has a great web page on copyright law in the US:  http://www.umuc.edu/library/copy.shtml#internet

The best rule of thumb regarding copyrighted material is:  don't use it

In the 90's when hip hop artists were sampling music from past decades there was a big debacle from the original musicians suing the hiphop artists for borrowing only parts of their music, like a drum beat, guitar solo, or vocal track.  DJs still sample in clubs, but it's generally frowned upon and potentially expensive to borrow parts of copyrighted material and distribute it or attempt to sell it.   

It's the author or owner's right to distribute, rewrite, and perform the work.  Given the methods of filmfights to promote its filmmakers, it could be construed as a form of distribution if your film contains copyrighted material.  So if a work contains music from a copyrighted source, it could be a form of copyright infringement. 

Unless you have the express permission and signed or confirmed lease and license for that work, which in some cases you can obtain by contacting the owners.  A year or so ago  Moby was giving free licenses for some of his music for aspiring filmmakers to use in their films.... check out mobygratis.com.  Make sure to follow the legal representation's advisement on how to credit the music that you use -  some licences require certain stipulations.  If you are using music that a friend or acquaintance composed, for legal purposes it's a good idea to get in the habit of getting your composer to sign a recording agreement or release.  PDFs of these documents can be found on the web (try google).

Much appreciated, that's a great link, I'd recommend checking it out!

http://i.imgur.com/SNGgL.jpg

I've been back on incpompetech recently and I can only download the files as MP2s and nothing else - and my software won't let me have MP2s for some reason. Is this happening to anyone else? What the hell am I gonna do?

I found some great resources for open source and creative commons-licensed music while working on our entry for the Hard Boiled fight - Op Sound, Community Audio and Jamendo all have some amazing music on them if you look hard enough, and it's all completely free so long as you credit the original author and don't use it for profit. big_smile

You can call me Al. I mean, err, James.

Hey, guys.  I've been off the site for a while, so I can't remember:  is it okay for us to monetize our youtube videos if they have the filmfights tag on the beginning?

Fuffuloo wrote:

Hey, guys.  I've been off the site for a while, so I can't remember:  is it okay for us to monetize our youtube videos if they have the filmfights tag on the beginning?

To quote the man himself (Justin, our fearless leader)

"Yup! Totally fine! I encourage it even!"

big_smile

"God's away on business."

I made this video for my film class and we had the rights to use music from Position Music. I'm considering entering that same film into the "Submit your best film" fight. Will there be any copyright issues regarding this?

CacciatoreCreations wrote:

I made this video for my film class and we had the rights to use music from Position Music. I'm considering entering that same film into the "Submit your best film" fight. Will there be any copyright issues regarding this?

Hmm? I'll find out...

deadstrange wrote:
CacciatoreCreations wrote:

Hmm? I'll find out...

Should be good...when you upload your video put in the description you have permission... smile

I write all my own music for my films. How do I prove this to you guys?

I think that it's enough that if you said it on this thread and no one complains that you have stolen the music from someone else.
If you have a link to site that has your music and it has a copyright mark, your name, and date on it it should be fine.

Making movies since 2007.

also: http://freemusicarchive.org/

I bought this sounds from Video copilot is it still going to go under light weight?  Because it is there work and I bought it so does that mean I can use it because I got in low weights last time and I wanted to know why?

Powelltowel

since youtube now allows copyrighted music, is this suggestion still valid?? Just wondering as I was hoping to put in the psycho theme for my first entry? Thanks

Still no copyrighted material, sorry!

thanks, just wanted to check :-)